False Claims Act
Nelson Hardiman’s marquee False Claims Act (FCA) practice has a national reputation for protecting healthcare systems and related entities sued by whistleblowers and/or the federal government under the FCA. Our market-leading litigators defend healthcare entities from charges of submitting false claims for medical services and items to Medicare and other federal healthcare programs in violation of the FCA.
Our legal team blends a wealth of government experience in healthcare fraud with extensive knowledge of complex statutory, regulatory and agency requirements. We harness the dogged determination of dedicated trial lawyers to decisively resolve FCA claims. Our tenacious stance and industry knowledge make Nelson Hardiman the go-to law firm for defending healthcare whistleblower lawsuits.
Our Work Includes:
- Civil Fraud False Claims Act experience includes defending hospitals in complex federal and state FCA actions involving claims for allegedly non-reimbursable, unnecessary or inflated services and costs.
- False Claim Act Won dismissal of lawsuit brought against a hospital when a former patient of the hospital filed as a Relator on behalf of the United States, alleging the hospital defrauded Medicare $35M by billing its facility charge when patients visited their surgeons for follow-up care.
- False Claims Act Won an FCA case decisively on summary judgment for a large Southern California hospital when two whistleblowers from a rival laboratory alleged the hospital’s kidney transplant program had submitted millions of dollars in Medicare claims for duplicative and unnecessary histocompatibility testing for transplant candidates.
- False Claims Act Undermined Relator’s FCA allegation by obtaining favorable deposition testimony demonstrating physician was not involved in an alleged conspiracy to admit psychiatric patients using California involuntary procedure.
- False Claims Act Represent a leading national hospital system in FCA dispute relating to claims for short stay admissions.